The Spanish Caribbean building which now Max & Sam’s calls home was built by developer Walter Fuller in 1924.
St Petersburg’s first night club called the “Gangplank” was here and was partly owned by Al Capone.
During prohibition, bootleg liquor was delivered by boat at night on the intercoastal waterway.
Babe Ruth, who was a friend of Mr. Capone, married his first wife in the club.
Duke Ellington and Count Basie both played there and it was a frequent stop of the 1950 New York Yankees including Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle and of course wife at the time Marilyn Monroe.
There are ancient Indian mounds right next door erected by the Florida Tocobaga tribe. In 1525 the first meeting between Spanish and American Indians took place on this site.